Canine hydrotherapy programmes work as a perfect complement to veterinary treatments.
All dogs need to come via referral from your vet. This means that they have checked your dog to ensure that there are no other underlying conditions that we need to consider before treatment.
The Dog Spa in Caerphilly has excellent hydrotherapy facilities for dogs including:
Indoor Jet Swimming Pool
The pool is maintained at a temperature of 30°c and our water quality is maintained both by ourselves and regularity checked by an independent water analyst.
It features a ramp for easy access.
Warm water increases:
- The circulation of blood to muscles increasing the supply of oxygen and nutrients
- Flushing away waste products leading up to muscle relaxation and a reduction in pain and stiffness.
- Controlled swimming improves stamina muscle tone and range of motion.
All our swims are controlled by our staff to ensure maximum safety and comfort for you and your dog.
Our state of the art aquatic treadmill by HYDRO PHYSIO 300 allows your dog to happily and confidently exercise in a low impact environment. Due to the buoyancy effect water reduces the load on weight bearing joints helping to reduce pain and allowing easier movement and exercise.
Conditions that benefit from Hydrotherapy include:
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
- Pre operative conditioning - muscle strengthening and maintenance
- Post operative
- Gait modification
- Stamina / cardiovascular fitness
- Obesity/weight loss
- Relief of pain swelling and stiffness
Each Monday we hold joint physiotherapy and hydrotherapy sessions. We benefit from the professional services of Denise Hayes Davies who is an ACPAT physiotherapist. Her input is invaluable for assessment and monitoring of your dogs progress.
She can also help with advice on;
- Environmental management
- Analysis of why the dog is struggling with in its movement
- What treatment is required for your dog
- Give you exercise programmes that you can continue at home
- The aim being for functional and quality movement that prevents and reduces strain elsewhere.
Water plus land therapy means that therapy 24 – 7 means better and quicker outcomes for you dog.
To find out how your dog can benefit from our hydrotherapy treatments or to arrange an appointment please use the contact us form below.
As members of THE CANINE HYDROTHERAPY ASSOCIATION we are committed to the highest standard of practice in our field with continued professional development. Some dogs swim as part of a recovery or fitness programme; others can swim for fun! To begin treatment we simply need a referral from your vet verifying that your dog is fit to swim. The referral form can be located below.
Links you may find useful: